Why Foster with Angels With me Rescue?
Fostering a dog or cat is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have (other than adopting, of course!) By temporarily taking an animal in need into your home you are:
- Increasing that dog or cat the chance of being adopted– By fostering a dog or cat, you are the link between them and a potential home. If you foster a dog or cat, you have the ability to transform that shelter dog or cat into a pet that anyone would be lucky to adopt.
- You help AWM learn about the dog’s personality – Your daily interactions with your foster pet will help us learn about his/her unique personality as well as about any behavioral issues. It’s hard to know much about a pet when he/she is living in a stressful, scary shelter environment. Placing a dog or cat in foster homes helps us learn if he/she likes children, likes other pets, begs at the table, chases other animals, knows basic commands, is high or low energy, etc. Knowing all of this info will help us to find each dog or cat the perfect permanent home!
- You are saving lives– AWM is almost always at capacity and we cannot take in more dogs or cats until additional foster homes open up. By taking a foster dog or cat into your home, you actually save two lives: the life of your foster dog or cat and the life of the dog or cat who takes his/her place in the shelter.
- AWM would not exist without foster homes – We depend entirely on foster homes because we do not have a shelter. If it weren’t for all of our generous foster families, our rescue would cease to exist.
- The dog or cat gets to live with your family rather than at a shelter–Dogs and cats get stressed in shelter conditions. Shelters are noisy with limited one-on-one interaction. The dogs don’t get enough exercise, training or socialization. With time, many dogs develop psychological issues as pent-up energy, frustration, aggression or boredom builds.
- It’s a way to help without spending money– If you don’t have the money to donate to animal rescues and shelters, you can donate your time by fostering. The only things you are required to provide your foster dog or cat with are love and time.
How To Foster
We are looking for people who:
- Are at least 21 years of age
- Have identification showing your present address
- Have the knowledge and consent of your landlord
- Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical treatment, and proper care for a pet.